When your 3D parts must meet the toughest requirements, Filamatrix is here to help, offering the most durable materials on the market. That’s why we work hard to supply PEEK 3D printing filaments you know you can rely on. Our PEEK contains only the best raw materials and is precision made to handle your precision jobs.
PEEK is a high-performance polymer that offers some of the most impressive properties available in FDM. It has outstanding mechanical properties (a tensile strength almost three times that of nylon) combined with excellent thermal (a heat deflection temperature of 152 °C) and chemical resistance. Its properties make it ideal for high performance, demanding applications in fields such as aerospace, automotive, and biomedical.
PEEK, like most polymer materials, inherently takes up moisture from the surrounding atmosphere due to the nature of its chemistry. When most polymers are extruded with high moisture content, the chains in the polymer will break. When this happens, you may notice a change in viscosity and melt strength of the melted polymer. An obvious sign of your filament being too wet is popping noises as the material is extruded, as this is the moisture in the material vaporizing. PEEK is shipped in vacuum-sealed bags to prevent moisture uptake during shipping and storage.
With PEEK being such a high-temperature polymer, especially when compared to other FDM materials, special considerations must be made for printing. Check with your printer manufacturer to be sure that your printer can handle the higher temperatures required to print this material. A heated chamber is also recommended when printing this material.
Our PEEK Filament is proudly made in the USA to the tightest diameter tolerance on the market. Filamatrix filaments are designed and developed by engineers with 50+ years of experience in plastic extrusion. All Filamatrix products are repeatedly tested for color uniformity and physical properties through an in-house print lab, consisting of numerous printer manufacturers. Physical properties of printed test bars are checked by a certified outside lab.
- Recommended nozzle temperature: 370 – 420 °C
- Recommended bed temperature: >120 °C
- Recommended heated chamber: 70 – 140 °C
- Recommended drying temperature: 120 °C
TIPS FOR OPTIMAL PRINTING
- A heated printing chamber is highly recommended for printing with PEEK.
- PEEK is moisture sensitive; measures should be taken to keep the filament dry
- Generally, slower speeds, larger nozzles and layers are recommended as a starting point
A FEW WORDS ABOUT DRYING
- All 3D printer filaments are at least somewhat prone to absorbing water (hydroscopic)
- Polyetheretherketones absorb moisture at a rate similar to Nylon (and PEKK), which is to say, quickly
- The effects of moisture may become noticeable hours after opening the spool
- Indications of moisture problems include popping or spitting when printing and stringy prints
- Drying may be done in a dedicated filament dryer, oven, or food dehydrator
- For casual to moderate printers we recommend this product (Opens in new window. No compensation is received.)
- For PEEK, dry six to twelve hours at 120° C (250° F)